Ever since Link found himself with the task of rescuing Princess Zelda in Hyrule back in 1986 classic The Legend Of Zelda, Nintendo found themselves adding over 20 more titles (including rare exclusives only found in Japan) to the Zelda franchise as well as an animated show and manga adaptatations over the last 27 years to the delight of fans around the world.
It’s no surprise that fans have also yearned for a full-blown movie based on Link’s exploits but because Nintendo is VERY tight-fisted when it comes to their intellectual property (a.k.a. IP) like Mario, Samus (Metroid), Kirby, and yes, Link and Zelda…and the fact that the LAST time they allowed their IP made into a film (1993’s Super Mario Bros) it didn’t go so well, it’s gonna take just a little more than “Hey, here’s a bunch of money; let’s make a movie,” to get Nintendo to hand over any more of their “kids.”
Then fans lost their minds when IGN posted a live-action trailer in 2008 thinking the very thing they wanted may just happen after all.
It turned out to an April Fool’s Day gag (sad trombone) but it didn’t stop fans from spreading the trailer across the internet like a virus while saying “Dang, I wish this was real.”
Oddly enough, the year BEFORE IGN pulled that April Fool’s joke, animation company Imagi Studios (Astro Boy, TMNT) actually DID make a pitch reel for Zelda and thanks to Imagi’s former DP and layout supervisor Adam Holmes, it’s finally seeing the light of day six years later.
Okay, so it’s a little underwhelming and obviously Nintendo said “PASS,” but I see it as a glimmer of hope for the future.
What do you think of the pitch reel? If YOU were given an opportunity to pitch a Zelda movie to Nintendo, how would yours look?
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015