We’ve known for awhile now that new Star Wars films taking place outside of the new sequel trilogy would be coming from Disney, but the only major information floating out about them have been rumors up until this point. That all changed today, as Lucasfilm and Disney have made their first casting decision in regards to one of these films.
According to Variety, actress Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything) has been tapped to lead the Star Wars spin-off that will be directed by Gareth Edwards. Jones was chosen out of a pool of actresses that also consisted of Rooney Mara (The Social Network) and Tatiana Maslany (“Orphan Black”). While no plot details, loose or otherwise, are currently known about the project, Edwards’ body of work would seem to indicate an action-oriented piece, and Jones’ casting ignites a number of different possibilities as far as focus characters are concerned.
Jones was nominated this year for the Academy Award for Best Actress for her role as Jane Wild Hawking in The Theory of Everything, opposite Eddie Redmayne. Jones also recently appeared in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 as Felicia Hardy, known in the comics as Black Cat. Her inclusion in the Star Wars franchise is certainly taking advantage of her newfound status as a critically well-received performer, and it should prove very interesting over the coming months to find out which characters this film will be exploring, and who Jones will be playing.
Edwards’ and Jones’ film, the first live-action Star Wars spin-off to be released theatrically in the franchise’s history, will arrive in theaters on December 16th, 2016. For more on the film as it develops, keep an eye on GeekNation!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5’ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2’ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015