As far as I’m concerned, Star Wars: Episode VIII has always been the most promising of the three new Star Wars films, with a strong and unique director and writer like Rian Johnson on at the helm. Judging by all the comments from the film’s cast members and Johnson’s collaborators as well, it’s sounding more and more like he’s going to be delivering a Star Wars film unlike any fans have seen before.
One of the more mysterious and exciting aspects going into Episode VIII is undoubtedly going to be the continuation of Kylo Ren’s story, and how it may or may not converge with Rey and Luke’s, especially following Adam Driver’s memorable turn as the character last year.
Speaking with Collider at the Toronto International Film Festival as well, Driver teased the differences between Force Awakens and the new film, going on to praise Rian Johnson and the intelligence of the film’s screenplay:
“It’s great. It’s similar to how The Empire Strikes Back has a different tone. For that people always go ‘oooh, it’s dark’ but I don’t know that it necessarily is. It’s just different in tone in a way that I think is great and necessary but also very clear. He trusts [that] his audience is ready for nuance and ambiguity. He’s not dumbing anything down for someone and that’s really fun to play.”
So this stays in line with a lot of the other comments that Daisy Ridley, Oscar Isaac, Mark Hamill, Lawrence Kasdan, and co. have said about Johnson’s writing in Episode VIII. With obvious Empire Strikes Back comparisons coming his way with it as well, it sounds like Johnson is coming more than prepared with the new film. At this point, December 2017 seems almost too far away to actually be real.
Star Wars: Episode VIII is set to hit theatres on December 15th, 2017.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016