Following the 30th anniversary celebration of Aliens yesterday, principal photography has officially wrapped on director Ridley Scott’s Alien: Covenant today, and to celebrate a brand new photo from the set has been released featuring Scott and lead actress Katherine Waterston. All I’ll say is that following the first photo of Waterston on the movie’s set as well, it’s looking more and more like they’re trying to make her a very clear callback to Sigourney Weaver’s Ellen Ripley.
From the haircut to the entire outfit, the resemblance between her and Ripley is either very coincidental, but very intentional. Either way, I think it’s clear to say that it’s at least there now.
Check out the photo below:
She’ll play the captain of the Covenant in the film, named Daniels, and ever since her breakout performance in Inherent Vice, Waterston has emerged as one of the most talented up and coming actresses of her generation right now. So if anyone was going to be tasked with creating a new character reminiscent of Ellen Ripley, from the same director, I’d say she’d be one of the few capable of it.
Fans can look forward to seeing more from the actress later this year in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, where she’ll play the female lead opposite Eddie Redmayne though, and in an ensemble cast of all incredibly talented actors, Waterston is the cast member I find myself most excited about when it comes to Alien: Covenant.
Alien: Covenant is set to hit theatres on August 4th, 2017.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016