One of the newer stars of Netflix’s Marco Polo has joined Alita: Battle Angel as James Cameron’s adaptation of the 1990s graphic novel pushes forward at near full-speed.
Leonard Wu, who plays Orus in the Netflix historical drama, has been cast as the cyborg Kinuba, according to Variety. In the graphic novels, according to an Alita wiki, Kinuba is the undefeated champion of the Coliseum, besting 63 opponents. He’s later assassinated by Makaku who “forfeits his powerful body.”
Alita was created by Yukito Kishiro, and is set in a post-apocalyptic future. Alita herself is a cyborg with no memory and left on a garbage heap, only to be restored by a cybernetics doctor, which leads her to become a bounty hunter.
Cameron, who brought the world Avatar and The Terminator, has held the rights to Alita since 2000. While he originally intended to direct, his schedule has caused a number of delays before he finally stepped aside to let Robert Rodriguez take the helm.
With Marco Polo being his first regular role, Wu has spent the past decade staying busy with character actor work. Some of his credits include Bones, Brothers & Sisters, Revenge of the Green Dragons in 2014, and Workaholics.
Wu will join co-stars that include Rosa Salazar, Jackie Earle Haley, Eiza Gonzalez, Lana Condor and Christoph Waltz.
Alita is set for a July 2018 premiere.
Latest posts by Michael Hinman (see all)
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Welcomes Return Of Gus Fring - January 16, 2017
- History Brought Bryan Cranston Back To ‘Power Rangers’ - January 16, 2017
- Cinemax Testing Comedy With ‘Silicon Valley’s’ Mike Judge - January 16, 2017
- Fox Passes On ‘Fatal Attraction’ After Casting Problems - January 16, 2017
- ‘Riverdale’ Actor Not Happy With Jughead’s New Sexuality - January 16, 2017