Back in 2002, members of the Boston Globe first broke the scandal of sexual abuse of boys in the Catholic Church at the hands of someone they should’ve been able to trust – the priests. The story of those reporters is about to be told on the big screen – and they’ve lined up a hell of a cast to tell it.
According to Deadline, Spotlight will focus on the investigative team from the Boston Globe that were known as the “Spotlight Team of reporters and editors that uncovered an unimaginable citywide conspiracy to cover up said clergy child abuse,” and the outlet reports a stellar group of actors is on board to play them. Members of that team (and their acting counterparts) will include former editor Marty Baron (Liev Schreiber), Spotlight Team editor Walter “Robby” Robinson (Michael Keaton) and reporters Michael Rezendes (Mark Ruffalo) and Sacha Pfeiffer (Rachel McAdams). Stanley Tucci is also along for the ride as lawyer Mitchell Garabedian, who represented families of the abuse victims, and actor/director Tom McCarthy (The Station Agent, “The Wire,” The Visitor) will direct the script he co-wrote alongside Josh Singer (“The West Wing”).
This is pretty huge, as these were the guys who took down Cardinal Bernard Law, who for years had hidden known serial sexual abuse by other priests not just in the United States, but around the world. The Spotlight Team members deservedly won the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service in 2003, the year after breaking the scandal wide open. I think it’ll be an interesting look, seeing as how this scandal still reverberates 12 years later.
Spotlight will begin shooting in Boston and Toronto this fall. What do you think about the cast?
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015