Frank Spotnitz might not be a part of the series anymore, but Amazon knows there’s still much more Nazis versus Japanese Empire versus resistance to tell, giving The Man in the High Castle a third season.
To help shape the future of Philip K. Dick-based series, Amazon also named Eric Overmyer High Castle‘s new showrunner to replace Spotnitz, according to The Hollywood Reporter, who departed the show midway through the second season.
Overmyer is a prolific writer and producer for television, behind shows like the HBO series Treme that earned him two of his four overall Emmy nominations. He also worked as an executive producer on another Amazon series, Bosch, as well as a co-executive producer for a short time on HBO’s Boardwalk Empire.
Amazon released the second season of High Castle last month, which earned the subscription streaming service not only critical praise, but also a bump in viewership for Amazon, which typically trails both Netflix and Hulu by quite a bit in the streaming market.
High Castle has become Amazon’s most-watched original program, however, surpassing Overmyer’s Bosch, which already was renewed for a fourth season.
Amazon programming executive Joe Lewis told the trade publication that it would be impossible to ignore not only the viewership numbers – which Amazon doesn’t release – but also a show that is currently “as timely as ever.”
“Eric and his team are doing an incredible job crafting stories about the inner lives of those who struggle to do good in a world that is not. We couldn’t be more excited to bring Season 3 to customers in 2017.”
Spotnitz left the series in May after a decision was made to move production of High Castle to the west coast – a move the producer best known for his work on The X-Files was not willing to follow. He remains an executive producer on the series, however.
It’s not that Spotnitz is now left with nothing to do. His upcoming series for Netflix, Medici: Masters of Florence, stars Richard Madden of Game of Thrones fame as well as Oscar-winning actor Dustin Hoffman. That series already has aired on Italy’s Rai 1, pulling in a record 7.6 million viewers, according to Variety.
Man in the High Castle stars Alexa Davalos, Rupert Evans, Luke Kleintank, Joel de la Fuente and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa. The third season is expected in December.
Latest posts by Michael Hinman (see all)
- Finn Jones Defends ‘Iron Fist’ Against Bad Reviews - March 13, 2017
- ‘The 100’ Scrapes Up Fifth Season For The CW - March 13, 2017
- ‘Kong’ Crowned King Of Weekend Box Office - March 12, 2017
- ‘Avatar 2’ In 2018? ‘Not Happening,’ Cameron Says - March 10, 2017
- ‘Atlanta’ Star Zazie Beetz Plays Domino In ‘Deadpool 2’ - March 10, 2017