I pretty much said all I needed to say about my thoughts on Magic Mike XXL in yesterday’s news piece about how Matthew McConaughey won’t be returning. (Pour one out for Dallas, ya’ll.) But the film’s casting department seems to be working quickly right now in order to get everything ready for the movie’s July 3rd, 2015 release date: Jada Pinkett-Smith joined the cast last night, and according to The Wrap, actress Amber Heard (Drive Angry, The Rum Diary) has boarded the film as well.
There’s no word yet on who exactly she’ll play, but the outlet claims that she’ll be “one of the new leads.” Actress Cody Horn, who played Channing Tatum’s love interest in the first movie, won’t be back, so it seems as good a guess as any that Heard will slip in to fill that particular void. I hate to say it, but Heard hasn’t made the greatest choices (or Hollywood hasn’t given her the best options) when it comes to choosing projects so far in her career, and this seems like the first movie in a long time that actually has a chance to give her a bump in credibility if director Greg Jacobs can coax a good performance out of her.
Tatum has said in previous interviews that this sequel won’t be quite as dark as the first film, and that it will contain a road trip element and likely revolve around his group of guys embarking on a trip to a stripper convention. Excited about Magic Mike XXL?
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014