The classic “sex comedy” genre hasn’t been prone to too much spicing up lately. The formula tends to stay the same – someone wants to get laid (probably on prom night and probably because they’re a virgin), they set out to do it, wacky things ensue – but it seems like the guys behind American Reunion and the Harold and Kumar films just might have a new entry point for the hijinks.
Deadline reports that directors Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg are set to helm an as-yet-untitled film (originally called Cherries) that puts its focus on some unexpected characters during one of those classic virginity-losing pacts. Instead of centering on three teen girls hellbent on losing their v-cards on prom night, the film actually focuses on their dads, desperate men who discover their daughters’ plan and set out to stop them. Still, we promise that hijinks will ensue.
This film actually sounds quite cute, and it will surely give three forty-something funny guys a trio of fun roles. Call Jason Bateman.
The film’s script has been penned by Brian and Jim Kehoe, and Hurwitz and Schlossberg will reportedly give it another look and possibly a new draft. Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg are on board to produce, so that should give the film a nice dose of cool guy cred and maybe an entry point for some of their buddies to play one of the sleazy dudes the girls are trying to get with (James Franco, anyone?).
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014