It looks like the cat got out of the bag a little early, but it was made official by the writer and director himself: the sequel to Marvel’s biggest film of 2014 is, indeed, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
According to a tweet from James Gunn himself, the title was officially revealed after a Collider interview with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige, where he accidentally let the official designation for the upcoming film slip out.
— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) June 29, 2015
With the first draft of the screenplay already reportedly handed in by Gunn, the sequel is expected to start shooting early next year in Atlanta for release in May of 2017. While many would likely contend that the first film was an emotional experience between the humor and the struggles of some of the characters, Gunn recently went on record to say that the upcoming sequel is aiming to be a “more emotional” experience than the first film. The original Guardians resonated heavily with audiences, evidenced by its stellar 91% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, as well as its very successful $774.1 million dollars in box office receipts worldwide.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will join the likes of Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, the currently untitled Spider-Man reboot, and Thor: Ragnarok as part of Marvel Studios’ “Phase Three.” For more on the development of these films as they take shape, keep it locked on GeekNation!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5′ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2′ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015