It’s hard to think of a superhero movie that has received the kind of backlash and criticism that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice did, with almost every critic giving the film a negative review, and it spawning dozens of fan petitions online asking for key members of the film’s creative team to be removed from the future movies in the DC Cinematic Universe. Suffice to say, the response was resounding.
For the other directors in the DCCU as well, that kind of response is likely intimidating in some way, even though a number of the filmmakers have kept fairly quiet in regards to Zack Snyder’s film, and have a mostly better track record than Snyder.
In a recent interview with Badtaste.it for his newest film, The Conjuring 2 as well, Aquaman director James Wan shared his thoughts on Dawn of Justice‘s negative backlash:
“I think it’s a world that is so difficult to control, and always expectations of fans are out of this world, right? No pun intended. I know how hard it is, from making Conjuring 2, how much anticipation there is just from the first movie. I think you do the best you can, and tell the best story you can.”
Now, it seems like Wan was careful to not actually saying anything regarding the film’s quality itself, and focused entirely on just the film’s response. He’s right though, because the expectations that fans have for comic book movies in general, especially the one that promises to unite DC’s holy trinity onscreen for the first time, are sometimes unrealistically high. The problem with Batman v Superman though, was that it ended up being basically everything we had feared it was going to be two years ago, but had mostly just talked ourselves out of in the time in between.
Aquaman is set to hit theatres on July 27th, 2018.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016