After already being introduced briefly in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and set to play a large role in Justice League next year, Jason Momoa’s Aquaman will then gear up for his own standalone movie in 2018, set to be directed by James Wan in what is probably one of DC’s smartest talent choices to date. After all, if anyone was going to make a cool Aquaman movie, it’d be James Wan.
Amber Heard is set to join Momoa in the film as well, playing the love of his life and Queen of Atlantis, Mera, who will also receive a brief introduction in Justice League next year, with Willem Dafoe rumored to be appearing in the film as well, after he’s introduced in Justice League also.
Now, The Wrap is reporting that Black Manta will be the main villain in the 2018 standalone film as well, arguably Aquaman’s most well known villain from the comics. While no casting decisions have been made yet, this does seem to fit in line with DC’s current villain strategy, choosing some of the more well-known antagonists from the comics so far.
While his origin story has undergone several different variations over the years, the most recent version made Black Manta an assassin hell bent on seeking revenge against Aquaman, who killed his father in retaliation for a murder that Manta himself committed when he was younger.
No other plot details have been revealed as of yet, though Wan has gone on record numerous times before, teasing the film’s unique, boundary-pushing aesthetic and costumes. Right now, it’s clear that his and DC’s mission with the standalone film is to make sure that the character isn’t the butt of most comic book fans’ jokes anymore, after often being reduced to nothing more than a punchline over the past few years. Judging by the look of his character in that Justice League trailer too, I’d say that at the very least, they’ve certainly done that.
Aquaman is set to hit theatres on July 27th, 2018.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016