Before he moves on to direct Blade Runner 2, a sequel to one of the most beloved sci-fi films of all time, director Denis Villeneuve will first return to the big screen for the fourth year in a row with Arrival, a new film starring Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, Forest Whitaker, and Michael Stuhlbarg that’s shaping up to be one of the most interesting films of this year’s packed awards season. Though at this point, Villeneuve could make a movie about a man reading the phone book, and I’d watch it.
Based on the short story, “The Story of Your Life” by Ted Chiang, the film follows a linguistics expert (Adams) who is brought in by the military after alien spacecrafts land all over Earth to try and decipher their unknown language, to learn if they come in peace, or for war.
Following a tense and intriguing teaser trailer last week as well, Paramount Pictures has released a brand new full-length trailer for Arrival as well. Spoiler alert – it looks awesome because of course it does:
Like everything that Villeneuve has directed, Arrival looks predictably beautiful from a visual standpoint alone, and the director’s knack for combining incredible character arcs with equally gorgeous colors and visuals has been one of his defining traits as a filmmaker over the years.
Ever since it was announced, Arrival has been on our radar for one of the most promising films to watch out for this year though, and after being repeatedly ignored in the awards circuit with his work on films like Sicario and Prisoners, hopefully his latest outing will be able to break into the conversation this year. At the very least though, it looks like Arrival will be yet another stellar, much-appreciated addition to this year’s overall mixed bag of films so far, courtesy of Villeneuve. In case he hadn’t already solidified himself as one of the most reliable filmmakers working today.
Arrival is set to hit theatres on November 11th.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016