Despite its flaws (most of which reside in its troublesome third act), one of the many things that Avengers: Age of Ultron got really right, was the designs of its characters, especially when it came to James Spader’s Ultron, who seemed like the perfect combination of the character’s design in the comics, with an updated twist for just the film as well. It managed to communicate Spader’s performance without losing the mechanical nature of Ultron along the way.
Concept Artist Josh Nizzi has revealed several new pieces of concept art that he made for the 2015 movie though, some of which include wildly different designs for both Ultron, and Tony Stark’s Hulkbuster armor from the film. Another design that was beautifully done in the movie itself.
Check out some of the pieces below:
Obviously, some of the designs range from very similar to what we saw in the final product, to wildly different, specifically in the all-gray and much more unfinished versions of the Hulkbuster armor. We also see some of the Ultron designs that stick much closer to the comics as well, especially in the character’s mouth and eyes, which were rounder in the film than they are in the comics themselves.
Looking back on it though, I don’t think I’m the only one who was happy with the design and aesthetic choices that Joss Whedon and co. made in the film, which was highly-criticized upon its initial release last year. Considering how difficult of a job it probably was to bring Ultron to the big screen, I’m gonna go ahead and say they did a fairly solid job with this one.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016