When the Avengers assemble, audiences do, too. If you didn’t know that before, then the box office take for the latest film in the team-up franchise should be ample proof of that fact.
According to Variety, Avengers: Age of Ultron took in $68.3 million at the foreign box office and an additional $77.2 million at the domestic box office, bringing its full worldwide total to $875.3 million. With a Chinese release coming this week, the film is expected to cross the $1 billion global threshold in the next seven days.
Much of Age of Ultron‘s box office fuel is coming from the foreign side of things, and if the new film manages to meet or surpass the full $1.5 billion take of 2012′s Avengers film, it will likely be due largely to its performance in foreign theaters. As pointed out by the newsbreaking piece, Age of Ultron has already outdone the lifetime grosses of several previous Marvel Studios films, including Captain America: The First Avenger ($371 million), Thor ($449 million), Iron Man ($583 million), Iron Man 2 ($622 million), Thor: The Dark World ($645 million), Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($714 million) and Guardians of the Galaxy ($774 million).
Outside of the Avengers steamrolling over the competition, the domestic weekend box office was relatively uneventful. In a distant second place was Hot Pursuit, which opened with a disappointing $13 million take. Rounding out the top 5 were The Age of Adaline with $5.6 million, Furious 7 with $5.3 million, and Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 with $5.2 million.
For more on the continuing success of Avengers and the development of future Marvel Studios’ films, keep it locked on GeekNation!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5′ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2′ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015