During the busy press tour for Captain America: Civil War earlier this year, Anthony and Joe Russo dropped a bit of a bombshell when they revealed that the highly-anticipated Avengers: Infinity War films, which they’ll be directing, would actually be getting retitled sometime soon, since they believed the Part 1 and Part 2 titles to be misleading to fans and the tone/story of each of the films.
Set to come out in 2018 and 2019, the films were originally announced to be the official conclusion of the current main story in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as all of the heroes in the MCU came together to fight Thanos (Josh Brolin) in his mission to assemble all of the Infinity Stones and basically, take over all of reality.
After the Russos’ comments though, whatever straightforward nature of the films was thrown out the window, and it looks like the duo have lived up to their promise after all.
Disney has announced today that Avengers: Infinity War will only be the title of one of the two films, with it still set to hit theatres on May 4th, 2018. Meanwhile, what was originally supposed to be Infinity War Part 2 has now been changed to the “Untitled Avengers” film.
Now, obviously this retitling won’t really affect the films all that much, or the direction that Marvel and the Russos are planning on taking them in, as much as this is mostly being done to avoid any confusion amongst fans between the two films, which are apparently going to be much different than we had previously thought.
Already compared to ensemble films like Nashville as well, if one thing’s for sure, it’s sounding more and more like Phase Three of the MCU is going to conclude in its largest, and possibly weirdest/artistic fashion yet.
Avengers: Infinity War is set to hit theatres on May 4th, 2018.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016