Emma Watson playing Belle in a live-action Beauty and the Beast film has always been one of those no brainer casting decisions, hasn’t it? From even when she was set to play the character in Guillermo del Toro’s adaptation to when she was announced for the Disney adaptation, it seemed like something that similar to Hermione Granger, she was born to play, and the trailers and footage from the film so far haven’t proven otherwise either.
We still don’t quite know what to expect from Watson’s take on some of Belle’s more memorable musical numbers, since this is set to be the first of Disney’s live-action reimaginings that keeps its full musical roots, but it looks like she’s more than received the blessing of composer Alan Menken, who not only helped to provide the music for the 1990s classic, but will be contributing to the live-action film as well.
Speaking with EW, Menken talked about Watson as Belle, basically saying what we’ve all been thinking for the past few months:
“She’s really good! I can’t picture anyone else, honestly. She’s Belle for me now entirely.”
Menken was asked about the rest of the film’s stacked cast as well (including Dan Stevens, who Menken said, “spends a lot of the movie with a lot of fur covering him but he’s great.”), the composer said:
“The cast is just a dream cast, it’s ridiculous.”
Ridiculous indeed, which is about the best possible word you can come up with to describe the cast after looking at all the names assembled for it. Considering how iconic and beloved of an animated character Belle is though, hearing from the man that contributed the most to making her memorable say that Watson is all he can see for the character now, is some very high praise to receive. Though, I don’t know if any of us ever really expected anything less than that.
Beauty and the Beast is set to hit theatres on March 17th, 2017.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016