Last year, Benicio del Toro gave one of the best performances of his career in director Denis Villeneuve’s Sicario, giving the actor an added boost back into the pop culture consciousness, with him later landing a mystery role in Rian Johnson’s Star Wars: Episode VIII. Though, it looks like his venture into the blockbuster realm won’t be stopping there either.
THR is reporting that del Toro is in talks to play the lead role in writer/director Shane Black’s The Predator, which is set to be a reboot of the beloved monster movie franchise. The film is said to be an ensemble piece, anchored by del Toro’s character, similar it seems to the format of the 1987 original as well.
The report states that the actor and studio have been dancing around the role for several months now, with del Toro’s busy schedule being a possible problem for the deal. That hurdle seems to have gone away though, with a February 2017 production start date on the project planned currently.
Black reportedly wrote the treatment for the new film, with the script then being written by Fred Dekker, his Monster Squad co-writer.
The filmmaker has been good about providing fans with constant updates on the project’s progress over the past several months as well, focusing solely on the film’s scale and relationship to the original films, while still managing to be vague about what kinds of connections fans can expect to see in the film. With Black involved though, and a possible lead star in del Toro, this is shaping up to be one of the more promising 80s reboot that’s in the works right now.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016