Already, the cast for Marvel’s 2018 standalone Black Panther film is shaping up to be one of their best ensembles to date, with Chadwick Boseman, Danai Gurira, Lupita Nyong’o, and Michael B. Jordan all already confirmed to be cast in the film, in addition to both Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman rumored to be reprising their respective MCU roles once again in it as well.
In an exciting, but unexpected bit of casting news however, it looks like Black Panther may have found yet another iconic villain from the comic book lore to take on Boseman’s T’Challa onscreen.
Variety is reporting that Person of Interest star Winston Duke has been cast in the film as M’Baku, better known to comic book readers as Man-Ape, a villain that was heavily-rumored to be making an appearance in the film initially. He joins Michael B. Jordan’s Erik Killmonger as the only other villain so far confirmed in the film, which will be written and directed by Creed filmmaker Ryan Coogler.
For those of you who don’t know as well, Man-Ape is one of the better known Black Panther villains, and is the leader of the Jabari Tribe, a powerful and formidable sect of people operating within and living in Wakanda’s borders. He is recognized as the second best warrior in the nation, with only T’Challa sitting above him.
Lupita Nyong’o has previously said that Black Panther will feature two main villains taking on T’Challa in the film, and while many had previously assumed that they would be Jordan’s Killmonger and Andy Serkis’ Ulysses Klaw, who was introduced briefly in Avengers: Age of Ultron, it’s also possible that they could be Killmonger and M’Baku. They’d probably make more sense in terms of a full-on narrative for the film, but it looks like we’ll just have to wait and see exactly what it is that Coogler and co. have planned here.
Black Panther is set to hit theatres on February 16th, 2018.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016