The Sharknado series may have turned the ocean’s most fearsome predators into B-movie punchlines, but let’s not forget that a great white shark was the centerpiece of one of the most terrifying films in cinematic history. Jaume Collet-Serra’s upcoming thriller The Shallows, which stars Blake Lively as a surfer trapped at sea with a great white standing between her and the shoreline, looks poised to restore the aquatic killers to their rightful place at the top of the food chain – and we’ve got a new trailer to prove it.
This footage reminds me of 2003’s Open Water, an interesting but flawed experiment based around a similar conceit. While that film boasted a pair of divers who could rely on each other to ward off danger, it seems that Lively will be on her own in The Shallows – those supporting characters glimpsed in the footage above don’t seem destined to play a major part here.
It’s not easy to carry an entire film on your own, but if Lively is up to the task, and Collet-Serra can sustain the tension without allowing the pot to boil over too soon, this could be something special. And as someone whose lifelong fear of drowning has kept me away from the ocean, this looks like the sort of thing that will keep my heart pounding – let’s hope I’m not wrong.
The Shallows is scheduled to swim into theaters on June 29.
Latest posts by Brent Hankins (see all)
- ‘Constantine’ Gets Stay Of Execution In New Animated Series - January 9, 2017
- ‘Arrow’ Season 5 Resumes With Old, New Faces - January 8, 2017
- ‘Doctor Stange’ Blu-ray Heralds Return Of Thor, Roommate - January 8, 2017
- Thor Finds Hulk, Only To Fight Him In Next Film - January 7, 2017
- FXX Captures ‘Archer’ As It Readies For Crazy Eighth Season - January 7, 2017