If you’re headed to the theaters at all this weekend, the big money is on the princess with the glass slippers.
According to box office analysts at Variety, the Kenneth Branagh-directed adapttaion of the animated Disney film is expected to fetch an astonishing $70 million in its premiere weekend in theaters. After already taking in $2.3 million in late night Thursday screenings and a very solid $25 million in Friday screenings, the new film is already proving to be a fruitful endeavor for Disney, who is going to be making a habit out of live action adaptations of classic animated films. While it’s not quite expected to top the $79 million opening weekend of 2013’s Oz the Great and Powerful directed by Sam Raimi, interest in Cinderella seems to be very high, on top of the anticipation for the animated short Frozen Fever, which will run in front of it.
Critical reaction for the film has also been resoundingly positive, with a current Rotten Tomatoes score of 84%. A CinemaScore has yet to be released for the film.
As for other contenders at the box office, Liam Neeson’s Run All Night is expected to take in anywhere between $12-14 million. Last weekend’s champion, director Neill Blomkamp’s Chappie, is expected to rake in less than $10 million. For the final box office tally of the weekend, be sure to check back tomorrow!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5’ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2’ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015