After just three weekends at the box office (internationally, two domestic), Captain America: Civil War has officially surpassed DC’s Batman v Superman financially. Not only that, but it has now put the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe at the $10 billion dollar mark as well, over thirteen films starting with 2008′s Iron Man.
Earning $72.6 million more domestically and $82.4 million internationally (making it a global weekend of $156.8 million), Civil War has now reached $940 million worldwide, making it the eighth-highest grossing second weekend of all time. In addition, the film has now beaten Dawn of Justice‘s $868.8 million fairly handily, especially considering how long it took the DC film to make that much even, and how quickly after its release it took Civil War to surpass it.
The film has also beaten the global totals of Spider-Man 3 and Sam Raimi’s original Spider-Man as well this weekend, making it now the sixth-highest grossing superhero film ever made, just behind The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man 3, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and The Avengers.
At this rate, the film is predicted to pass the $1 billion dollar mark sometime this week, passing Disney’s Zootopia to become the highest-grossing movie of the year so far, until possibly Finding Dory or Independence Day: Resurgence this summer (depending on how well that nostalgia train does at the box office). Other than that, the movie doesn’t really face much competition until Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, (possibly) Doctor Strange, and Rogue One – A Star Wars Story in November and December.
Captain America: Civil War is in theatres everywhere now.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016