While moviegoers in the US will have to wait until this Friday/Thursday night to finally see Anthony and Joe Russo’s superhero magnum opus, Captain America: Civil War, in theatres, the film has already opened in cinemas around the world, and it looks like Marvel’s biggest gamble, may already be shaping up to be their biggest win as well.
Though that doesn’t come as much of a surprise considering the rave reviews its already been welcomed to from both fans and critics alike.
Taking the number one spot from its fellow Disney film, The Jungle Book, the superhero film opened to %63 percent of the international marketplace, grabbing the number one spot at the box office in practically every region that it opened in, other than Japan. In total, raking in $200.2 million over the opening weekend, one of the biggest international openings in film history.
It fell just shy of Avengers: Age of Ultron‘s opening last year, and by bringing together two of the MCU’s biggest stars head-to-head in Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans, the massive opening number shouldn’t come as that much of a surprise. In addition to the box office success as well, the movie also currently holds a 94% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, making it the highest-rated film in the MCU so far, depending on the possible dips or bumps it could experience over the coming weeks.
Acting as a loose adaptation of the comic book arc of the same name, the film is set to be the most ambitious film from Marvel studios yet, not only pitting a number of its established heroes against each other, but also introducing a number of large names as well, including Chadwick Boseman’s Black Panther and Tom Holland’s Peter Parker/Spider-Man. The inclusion of the latter as well, should only help to increase the film’s box office success in the coming weeks, in case its overall quality and sheer level of spectacle wasn’t enough.
Captain America: Civil War opens in the US on May 6th.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016