Long before Princess Leia and Han Solo hooked up in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, it seems the actors who played them – Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford – hooked up. A lot.
On her new autobiographical book, The Princess Diarist, the 60-year-old actress revealed the affair she had with Ford during the 1976 filming of the first film in the franchise, Star Wars: A New Hope. In excerpts shared with People magazine, Fisher said she kept the affair a secret for the past four decades primarily because it was something special for her, and also because at the time, Ford was 12 years into his marriage with his first wife, a union that would ultimately end in 1979.
“It was so intense. It was Han and Leia during the week, and Carrie and Harrison during the weekend.”
Fisher told the magazine that she was looking over old journals she kept during filming in preparation for her book, and realized the three-month affair she had with Ford just couldn’t be left out. The fact the two had hooked up quite regularly during the filming of Star Wars has been rumored for many years, although Fisher maintains it only lasted this one movie, and once filming was done, so was the affair.
When she decided to include the details, she let Ford – who co-starred with her in last year’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens – know, although he didn’t respond to People with comment. Ford is now married to former Supergirl star Calista Flockhart.
Fisher and Ford hooked up the first time following a birthday party for Lucas, which would’ve put them more than a month into the total shoot for A New Hope in May 1976. Following that first night, she told wrote about her own lack of confidence because of her inexperience (she was just 19). However, she “trusted something about him” because “he was kind.”
“I looked over at Harrison. A hero’s face – a few strands of hair fell over his noble, slightly furrowed brow. How could you ask such a shining specimen of a man to be satisfied with the likes of me?”
Fisher’s book, The Princess Diarist, hits stores Nov. 22.
Latest posts by Michael Hinman (see all)
- Finn Jones Defends ‘Iron Fist’ Against Bad Reviews - March 13, 2017
- ‘The 100’ Scrapes Up Fifth Season For The CW - March 13, 2017
- ‘Kong’ Crowned King Of Weekend Box Office - March 12, 2017
- ‘Avatar 2’ In 2018? ‘Not Happening,’ Cameron Says - March 10, 2017
- ‘Atlanta’ Star Zazie Beetz Plays Domino In ‘Deadpool 2’ - March 10, 2017