At this point, it’s become clear that studio intervention and interference were two of the biggest problems with both Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad this year, and it seems like even Warner Bros. may be aware of it, creating a new DC Films division, and giving the head reigns to none other than Geoff Johns, the guy that probably should have been running the whole thing all along in retrospect.
For their part, the Marvel crew and actors have been extremely political whenever they’ve been asked about Batman v Superman as well, but it looks like one of the main players in Civil War has just gone into detail about what he didn’t like from the movie, and it’s pretty spot on.
Speaking with Radio Times, Black Panther himself, Chadwick Boseman, talked about going to see the DC Film opening night and shared where he thinks the film went wrong, both behind the scenes and on the silver screen:
“I was there the first night to see Batman v Superman, got my popcorn and everything, and I’m not exactly sure what they did wrong, but I feel like sometimes you see a movie – and I could be wrong, or saying this because I’m in the industry – you can see that there’s at times [too] many people deciding something. That there’s not a clear voice from the director.”
“Sometimes when you watch movies you see that the producers are saying something, someone else is saying something, the directors are saying something. And sometimes, it doesn’t work. I just feel like, what I have experienced at Marvel is that the directors are very much making the movie. So maybe that’s it.”
Again, Boseman sort of hit the nail on the head here, and it’s clear watching Batman v Superman, whether you loved it or not, that there was a lot of interference and pushing from the studio on Zack Snyder and co. to make sure that they ticked off all of the boxes that Warner Bros. needed the film to check off, in order to speed up the world building of the DCEU. I don’t think it’d be far off to say that those “notes” seriously hurt the film as well.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016