Coming just a few weeks after the release of the gender-swapped Ghostbusters remake/reboot, and the news last week that Disney would be working on a new reboot/sequel to The Rocketeer, this time with a black female lead taking on the iconic mantle, Disney has announced yet another remake today that I’m sure will probably ruin many peoples’ childhoods. Because when doesn’t it nowadays?
Deadline is reporting that Channing Tatum will star in a new remake of the 1984 comedy film, Splash, which was directed by Ron Howard and starred Tom Hanks as a man who’s life was turned upside down when he fell in love with a mermaid, at the time played by Darryl Hannah. Only this time, the remake will be gender-swapped with Tatum playing the mer-man that a normal girl falls in love with instead of the other way around.
The new project will be a reunion between Tatum and his 22 Jump Street co-star, Jillian Bell as well, who came up with the idea for the Splash remake, with Marja-Lewis Ryan set to pen the script for the film.
In terms of the remakes and reboots currently in the works right now, all seemingly coming from 1980s properties (because at least they’re not messing with the 70s right?), this is probably one of the most unexpected, though I imagine every single Splash fan in history will be coming out of the woodwork now to voice their anger towards this project.
At the very least, at least we’ll get to see more of Tatum’s Magic Mike abs on full display for an entire film again right ladies? Only this time, instead of jeans and stripper shorts, he’ll be sporting more of a half-fish look, which admittedly may turn some off. Who knows though, maybe that’s like your thing or something. We’re not here to judge.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016