After several weeks of hardcore fans and haters nearly vowing to riot when it was learned “Sons Of Anarchy” star Charlie Hunnam signed on for the role of Christian Grey in the big screen adaptation of E. L. James’ hit novel, Fifty Shades of Grey, news has broken that Hunnam has vacated the role due to “scheduling conflicts.”
The official statement from Universal Studios and Focus Features is: “The filmmakers of FIFTY SHADES OF GREY and Charlie Hunnam have agreed to find another male lead given Hunnam’s immersive TV schedule which is not allowing him time to adequately prepare for the role of Christian Grey,” while author E L James simply said via Twitter:
At first, Hunnam seemed excited for the role but knew it would be met with resistance. He told EW, “There are so many fans of that book and I know that on the surface, I’m probably not what everybody imagined. Because reading is so personal and people bring a character to life in their imagination, they feel ownership over that character. That’s daunting if I allowed myself to think about it too much. I’m taking it very seriously and intend to explore the nature of who this character is, what motivates him — and also dress up nice and look good in those suits.”
I’m guessing the massive outcry coupled with the fact that Hunnam just started shooting SOA’s season 6 yesterday (Oct 11th) was the reason for him bailing; he’s probably slightly relieved and bummed at the same time, but I guess we’ll never know.
Fifty Shades of Grey is slated to hit theatres Aug 1, 2014.
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015