It’s still kind of hard to believe the idea of a sequel being made to 1996’s Independence Day, the Roland Emmerich-directed film about a worldwide alien invasion that starred Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, and Vivica A. Fox. Made for less than $100 million, the film was a massive box office success, grossing $817,400,891, going on to become the biggest box office earner of 1996.
After being in development for over a decade, it’s finally coming to fruition, and it looks like some more cast members are being filled out. In addition to returning actors like Goldblum and Pullman, Liam Hemsworth is also apparently a part of the cast.
Now, according to a new report from THR, it looks like the film is on the cusp of adding French actress Charlotte Gainsbourg. Gainsbourg, who’s likely best known for appearing in director Lars von Trier’s “Depression Trilogy” (Antichrist, Melancholia, and Nymphomaniac Parts I and II), would be making quite a departure from the work she normally commits to by being a part of a big blockbuster sequel. In addition to her work on arthouse films, Gainsbourg also has a pretty vibrant musical career going back to the mid-1980s, and she’s even appeared on albums from Madonna and Beck.
Independence Day 2 was greenlit by 20th Century Fox late last year, and is expected to begin shooting this May. and has been assigned a release date of June 24th, 2016. For more on the film as it develops, keep an eye on GeekNation!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5’ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2’ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015