Turns out, if you need a teen actress to star in a film that’s set in high school but also centers on murder and violence, there’s really only one pick. With her Carrie due to hit theaters soon and two Kick-Ass films under her belt, Chloe Moretz is steadily carving out one heck of a specific niche for herself.
Next up for Moretz is Sacha Gervasi’s take on Sam Munson’s 2011 novel, “The November Criminals.” The film centers on a teen (that’s one) who obsessively investigates the murder of a classmate (that’s two), and will feature Moretz as the female lead. The film’s male lead (he’s the one doing the actual investigation) is currently being cast, and it’s reportedly a “hotly-contested” role in young Hollywood right now.
According to Amazon, the source material centers on “high school senior Addison Schacht [who] has a lot of preoccupations, like selling drugs to his classmates, getting into college, and his complicated relationship with his best friend (NOT his girlfriend) Digger.” That’s plenty to handle already, but “he’s just added another to the list: the murder of his classmate Kevin Broadus, and his own obsessive plan to investigate the death. When presented with an essay question on his application to the University of Chicago–What are your best and worst qualities?–Addison finds himself provoked into giving his final, unapologetic say about all of the above and more, and the thrilling result is an unforgettable trip through the Washington, D.C. teenage underworld.”
The Wrap reports that Gervasi has also rewritten the film’s script, first penned by Steven Knight. Considering how dismal Gervasi’s last film, Hitchcock, was, we’re reserving judgement on this one for now. Looking forward to Moretz’s latest? Tell us below.
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014