Passengers has always been one of the more mysterious films slated to come out this year. With a screenplay by Jon Spaihts, the film has come close to happening several times over the past few years, with different casts and filmmakers attached to it as well. Now, with Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence, two of the biggest stars working today, leading it, Passengers could very well be one of the biggest holiday hits this year.
Now, the first official trailer for the film was released online today as well, and probably wisely, focuses mostly on the love story between Pratt and Lawrence’s characters, who wake up from cryogenic sleep early on a long journey from Earth to a new colonization planet, destined to die before they ever arrive.
There’s also a subplot involving the ship itself malfunctioning and all of the other passengers possibly dying as well, but I doubt that’s the reason most people will be going to see this film later this year. Check out the trailer below:
Unfortunately, while the interactions and chemistry between Pratt and Lawrence seem genuinely interesting and watchable, the plot involving the ship itself and the space action, looks like it could very well take over the rest of the film for a majority of it. Which is a shame considering how bland and uninteresting it looks compared to the other half/tone of the movie.
I don’t think it’ll be the Oscars hopeful that many fans and possibly the film’s creative team were hoping for, but it could still be one of those end-of-the-year, feel good films you go to see in between the breaks of your repeated Rogue One viewings.
Passengers is set to hit theatres on December 21st.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016