As far as we’re concerned, Kurt Russell playing Ego the Living Planet in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is like one of those rare moments when both your past and present collide, and end up giving us one of the most exciting additions to the comic book genre in years. On paper alone. With both he and Sylvester Stallone being in the film, its like an 80s action fan’s dream come true at this point.
According to some new comments from director James Gunn though, we’re not the only ones that you can thank for Kurt Russell being cast in the sequel, revealing that it was originally Chris Pratt who pitched the casting idea to him.
Speaking with Empire, Gunn talked about Pratt’s role in the decision with the following:
“He was actually not in my head initially, but one day Chris suggested him. I would have been really disappointed if he’d said no. Hey, if you have to cast anything, Kurt’s a pretty good way to go.”
Maybe more than anything else right now, it’s looking like the relationship between Pratt’s Star-Lord and Russell’s Ego is going to be the main focal point of Vol. 2, not only based off the threads left untied at the end of the first film, but also because of comments from both Gunn and Pratt themselves.
Russell has been on a bit of a resurgence recently as well, after roles in the new Fast & Furious films, Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight last year, and now this. It’s not like he ever really went off the radar or anything, but to see the same man that brought Snake Plissken and Jack Burton to life in the 80s come back in the most popular franchises today, is well, just kind of awesome. To say the least.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is set to hit theatres on May 5th, 2017.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016