Update: Deadline has updated their piece and added Paul Dano, Travis Fimmel (“Vikings”), Anson Mount (“Hell on Wheels”), and Anton Yelchin to the list of actors reading for other leading roles in Warcraft. Original article follows.
After wowing this year’s Comic-Con crowds with an unexpected (and unexpectedly great) teaser trailer “mood piece” for his upcoming Warcraft adaptation, Moon director Duncan Jones might finally be getting down to actually casting his 2014 release. Deadline Hollywood reports that rumors are swirling that two lead roles are in the process of finding talent to take them on, and the rumored names are offbeat, to say the least.
The outlet reports that Paula Patton is currently negotiating for a lead role, while Colin Farrell has been offered another starring part, though the chances he’ll actually take it on are “50/50.” While Patton has done steady work in rom-coms and actioners, she’s only dabbled in sci-fi-tinged projects, including 2006’s Deja Vu. Farrell, of course, has plenty of different films under his belt, but his last big-time sci-fi film, Total Recall, disappointed both critically and financially.
Jones, however, is reportedly still looking at other actors for the film, an adaption of Blizzard’s incredibly popular and enduring World of Warcraft video game. With production slated to start on the project in January, this just might be only the first round on casting rumors we’re due to be hit with in regards to the highly anticipated film.
With little available in the way of actual plot details (beyond the basic bones of the Warcraft world, including time travel, aliens, zombies, and dragons – oh my!), it’s hard to decide who would be a good fit for the material – but we can certainly try! Is there anyone you think would fit right into the WoW world? What about Patton and Farrell?
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014