Hannibal Buress has already made regular appearances on Comedy Central by way of “Broad City,” and now the comedian is getting his own show as well.
Today, the network announced that it has ordered eight episodes of a new half-hour comedy series called “Why?” which will feature Buress giving his perspective on a new topic each week driven by the zeitgeist of our culture.
The new series stems from a deal Comedy Central struck with Buress in 2013 that came with a pilot commitment for a new show, a one-hour stand-up special, his own tour, and the recurring role on “Broad City.” Buress has deserved his own show for awhile now, and if you don’t believe me, check out this set:
In what sounds like his own version of “Inside Amy Schumer,” Buress will be “answering the burning questions on his mind through stand-up, filmed segments, man-on-the-street interviews and in-studio guests.” But what makes this different is that each episode will be shot in front of a studio audience, taping the same week it airs, in order to stay topical. So basically, this is almost like a mix of “The Daily Show” with “Inside Amy Schumer,” and that sounds perfect.
Buress made headlines last year after making remarks about Bill Cosby’s history of sexual assault during a stand-up set that triggered an onslaught of victims coming forward to accuse the legendary comic of rape. Next he’ll be roasting Justin Bieber on Comedy Central, so he’s got a solid working relationship with the network.
“Why?” is slated to premiere in July on Comedy Central, so be sure to check it out.
Latest posts by Ethan Anderton (see all)
- UPDATED: Will Ferrell & Kristen Wiig Shot a Secret Lifetime Movie Called ‘A Deadly Adoption’ - June 3, 2015
- Over 13,000 Fans Petition to Save ‘Tron 3’ from Being Derezzed - June 1, 2015
- ‘Jaws’ Returning to Theaters for 40th Anniversary - May 28, 2015
- Could Wolverine Have a Cameo in ‘Deadpool? - May 26, 2015
- Jack Black Reteams with ‘Nacho Libre’ Director for ‘Micronations’ Comedy - May 18, 2015