Neil Druckmann and Sam Raimi were surprise guests at Sony’s Screen Gems panel at Comic-Con yesterday, and they had some interesting things to say about the upcoming movie based on the awesome video game The Last of Us. Druckmann created and wrote the script for the game (which was my favorite of 2013), and he’ll actually be writing the screenplay for the film, too. Along with that responsibility, Screen Gems has given Druckman creative control over casting and who directs the picture, and Druckmann and producer Sam Raimi have already had conversations with someone to star as Ellie, the young protagonist: “Game of Thrones” star Maisie Williams.
Williams, who plays Arya Stark on the HBO smash hit series, would make a terrific Ellie for all the same reasons she’s a brilliant Arya: the character needs to be capable but vulnerable, athletic and emotional, and Arya and The Hound’s great relationship is a more profane version of the cross-country travelling that Ellie does with Joel in the game. She’s apparently interested in starring, and though no official offer has been made yet (there’s no director in place yet, after all), they’ve gone as far as having conversations about it. No names have been tossed out for the role of Joel just yet, but fans are apparently hoping that Hugh Jackman or Josh Brolin take the part; I’m a huge Jackman fan, but I’d actually like to see him stretch his acting muscles a bit more since I think playing Joel would be a bit too easy for him.
What do you think about this potential casting? Let me know in the comments.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014