Hideeho, comic fans! I hope that by this time everyone has come down from their post-Halloween sugar high. The election is over and many are celebrating victory while others are just celebrating the end of the campaigning.
Politics aside, this week on Comix Chix I’m joined by my good friend, Jennifer K. Stuller. If you are unfamiliar with her work, Jen is the author of a really awesome book titled Ink Stained Amazons and Cinematic Warriors: Superwomen in Modern Mythology. As you’ll learn in the course of the podcast, Jen also lives my dream (basically) in that she is a comic book scholar. That’s right, folks, she gets paid the big bucks (sorta) to think critically about the academic aspects of sequential art. In addition, she is also the programming director for Seattle’s Geek Girl Con and is in the middle of editing a book about the Buffy-verse, which will be coming out in Spring 2013.
PLUS – she’s one of my very favoritest people on the planet.
Jen was kind enough to join me this week to talk about her work, Geek Girl Con and a variety of other topics of interest to us both. As anytime that I have the privilege of speaking with Jen, I walked away from our conversation feeling mighty, empowered and smarter than when we began. I hope you will, too.
Please make sure to follow Jen on the Twitters, @InkAmazons and keep up with what she’s currently working on via her website! Also, keep up with the progress Geek Girl Con is making going into their third year by visiting the GGC website!!
(Hey and a special shout out to my pal, Ray Sampson, the photographer responsible for the awesome pic of Jen being used in this here blog post… Ray took this picture in 2010 at San Diego Comic Con, following the infamous “Do Geek Girls Exist” panel. The photo first ran on my former website – Geek Girl on the Street. W00t!)
Before I get to this week’s comic picks, I want to plug an event happening here in Chicago which I feel you – my dear listeners/readers – will be very interested in.
Next week, the Chicago Game and Toy Fair (November 14-18) will be taking place on historic Navy Pier. Aside from the ton of really awesome geek stuff that there will be to see and do at this fair, it is significant because it is run and organized by a woman. Just like comics, the toy/gaming industry is not known for having a lot of ladies in positions of power. The amazing Mary Couzin is changing that perception, one patron at a time, as she shares her passion with nerdy/geeky kids and adults at this annual family friendly event. If you are in the city, it is well worth checking out. Find out more about admission, vendors and activities by visiting the ChiTAG website.
Comix Chix Comic Picks – November 7:
Not a lot of great single issue comics out this week, folks. However – there are a quite a few interesting hardcovers and trade paperbacks hitting shelves today. Here’s what I recommend checking out:
- Adventure Time Vol 1 (BOOM!) – The silly adventures of Finn, Jake and crew have crossed over from the Cartoon Network onto the page via BOOM! Studios. If you are a fan of whimsy and math (or of the television show) this is the TPB for you.
- The Sequential Art of Amanda Conner (DC Comics) – Amanda Conner is one of the most influential female comic artists of this generation. This hardcover collects some of her best work done for DC Comics – including art from Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Lois Lane.
- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (DC Comics) – Stieg Larsson’s award winning novel is being released as a gorgeously illustrated graphic novel with art by Leonardo Manco and Andrea Mutti. The cover alone is a reason to buy this hardcover.
Thanks for reading/listening! Next week we’ll be back with returning guest, Joan Hilty and our first ever male Comix Chix guest, Marc Andreyko – we’ll be talking about my favorite superhero – Kate Spencer, aka Manhunter!
Don’t forget – you can email us guest suggestions, complaints and sweet love haikus to firstname.lastname@example.org. Comix Chix is recorded for GeekNation at Spark Gap Studios in Chicago, Il and is produced by Nicholas W. Young. Follow Kate on Twitter @AdorkableGrrl.
Latest posts by Admin (see all)
- Conan’s ‘Steve Jobs’ Parody is Exactly What You Want it to Be - October 8, 2015
- WWE Superstar Chavo Guerrerro, Jr. Pays Tribute to “Rowdy” Roddy Piper on ‘The Chavo Show’ - August 6, 2015
- ‘Doctor Who’ Recap: “Last Christmas” - December 26, 2014
- ‘Doctor Who’ Recap: “Death in Heaven” - November 9, 2014
- ‘Doctor Who’ Recap: “Dark Water” - November 2, 2014