Just yesterday, the news that Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2 director Ivan Reitman had officially stepped down for the long-in-the-making Ghostbusters 3 film hit the wire, finally providing an official piece of news in a sea of gooey speculation that’s flowed for years now. Reitman, however, is still dedicated to the project and vowed to stay on board in a producing capacity, with a special eye to finding an appropriate director for the beloved franchise.
But could Reitman actually be looking for a pair of directors?
Over on Nikki Finke’s Twitter account (the Deadline Hollywood founder appears to still be in the process of launching a new official site, and is using social media to deliver scoops in the interim), she shares: “Hot duo to direct #Ghostbusters3? My sources say Phil Lord & Chris Miller (‘Lego Movie’, ’21 Jump St’) in talks to replace Ivan Reitman.”
This is, quite likely, the best possible news that could come out of Reitman’s departure. Lord and Miller have consistently proven to be incredibly adept at taking established franchises (like 21 Jump Street) and products (like Legos) and making something very fresh, new, and funny out of their existing material. The directors are Hollywood’s current go-to guys for turning films that sound like bad ideas — a new take on 21 Jump Street? Something about Legos? A kid’s book about crazy food? — and crafting them into major hits with lots of laughs. That’s precisely what the third Ghostbusters needs.
The pair are currently wrapping up production on 22 Jump Street, this summer’s highly anticipated follow-up to their first film, and probably just basking in the glow of their major Lego Movie returns. Lord and Miller are also not signed on to direct the recently announced Lego Movie sequel, so perhaps they were clearing their schedules for some ghosts and some busting?
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014