In the long line of failed video game adaptations, the Tomb Raider films rank near the top of possibly the most disappointing. With an action-adventure premise that summer blockbusters dream of, and a seemingly pitch-perfect casting of Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft, the films really didn’t have any excuse for being as bad as they were.
Nonetheless, a film reboot of the franchise has been in development for quite some time now, and after landing its director a few months ago, it looks like the Tomb Raider reboot may have set its eyes on one of last year’s biggest breakout stars for its title role.
According to a new report from Deadline, Warner Bros. and MGM are apparently compiling a list of the actresses that they’d most want to play the newest iteration of Lara Croft onscreen, and included in that list? The Force Awakens star Daisy Ridley. It should be noted right away though that no conversations have been had between the studio and the actress, and Ridley is one of many actresses being eyed for the role.
However, it doesn’t come as much of a shock that the studio may want to grab Ridley for another franchise as quickly as possible after making waves as the lead heroine, Rey, in The Force Awakens last year. Ridley is currently in the midst of production on director Rian Johnson’s Star Wars: Episode VIII though, so it might be a bit hard for the actress to fit in yet another franchise into her busy schedule, even if she was interested in the role.
After rebooting the video game franchise successfully a few years ago as well, Lara Croft was finally brought back into the current video game culture. Considering the success of the last two games too, trying for anther film adaptation right now would likely be the smartest move Warner Bros. could make. If they manage to get Ridley in the lead role as well, then this Tomb Raider reboot might not be something to roll your eyes at after all.
The Tomb Raider reboot is currently in development.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016