Probably the biggest question running around the fan community after Star Wars: The Force Awakens has been who Rey’s parents are, after the character’s lineage and past was hinted at heavily in the film, without a reveal ever coming into play, much to the frustration of all of you theorists out there. Though, let’s face it guys, she’s totally Luke’s daughter, right?
However, following the Rogue One trailer release last week, quite a lot of fans out there went on the internet to voice their belief that Felicity Jones’ Jyn Erso, is actually the mother of Daisy Ridley’s Rey… why? Well because she’s a lead female character, with the same genetic traits of course!
Yup, turns out the theory was just as ridiculous as we thought too, thanks to a confirmation from Ridley herself, who squashed the theory rather quickly while speaking with MTV:
“I’m not being funny you guys, but just because she’s white and got brown hair… it doesn’t mean she’s my mom.”
Ridley even went on to hint that Rey’s parentage might not be as important as everyone thinks it is:
“I think the amazing thing about [Episode VII] is that Finn and Rey don’t come from anywhere, and they find a place. So to me, it’s funny that people think it’s so important, because I don’t really think it is.”
That last quote is interesting because I think a lot of people (myself included) have spent a lot of time thinking about who Rey’s parents are, in the belief that the reveal or discovery is going to be this huge twist in the next film, but from the sounds of Ridley’s comments above – that might not be the case actually. For all we know, her parents could be characters that we’ve never even heard of or met in the Star Wars universe before. At least, that’s what it sounds like.
Star Wars: Episode VIII is set to hit theatres on December 15th, 2017.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016