Following the disappointing critical reception to Spectre last year, Daniel Craig has reportedly turned down a two film deal from MGM, deciding to no longer reprise the role of James Bond onscreen again. This also comes after his publicly, negative attitude towards the franchise during the Spectre press tour as well, where he said multiple times that he had reached the end of his rope with the character.
MGM reportedly offered Craig a 68 million deal to return to the franchise for two more outings (via The Daily Mail), which is 30 million more than he’s made on the entire franchise up until this point, before the actor told executives he was done.
The report states that some MGM executives were ready to let the actor go though, following his negative attitude towards the films. After his outings managed to gross a combined total of $2 billion at the box office for the studio however, which helped to ease their bankruptcy worries over the years, it’s easy to see why they might have at least tried to get the star to come back.
It had only seemed like a matter of time before the news came as it was anyways though, following the actor’s well-known knee injury on the Spectre set, and his whole “I’d rather slash my wrists than come back” routine that made the press rounds last year as well.
After almost a decade of playing the character, starting in 2006’s Casino Royale, it had reached the time for Craig to say farewell to Bond, I think a number of fans would agree probably. Right now, both Tom Hiddleston and Idris Elba have been heavily rumored to be playing the character as well, and I imagine that it’ll only be a matter of time before MGM begins a real search to find their new 007.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016