Looks like we’re not the only ones happy to see the Merc with a Mouth make his solo debut on the big screen this week.
Even with its (hard) R rating and obscure quirk, it looks like Deadpool has been welcomed by the mass public with open arms. Following its preview screenings last night at several thousand theatres throughout the country, BoxOfficeMojo is reporting that the film managed to pull in $12.7 million, which not only makes it the highest-grossing February preview night ever, but also the highest-rated R movie preview ever as well, breaking The Hangover Part II‘s previous 10.4 million record.
The film also managed to become the sixth-highest IMAX Thursday night preview ever as well, despite the lack of a 3D release. Considering the film only took $58 million to make, not counting the costs behind its unique, and spectacular marketing campaign, it looks like Deadpool is off to a pretty great start for itself so far, which is good considering Fox has already greenlit the film for a sequel.
After years and years of being stuck in development hell as well, the film is on track to be the box office winner this weekend over both How to be Single and Zoolander 2. It has also beaten some of Marvel Studio’s Thursday night previews as well, including both Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($10.2 million) and Guardians of the Galaxy ($11.2 million), which should be cause for some celebration over at Fox in the coming weeks.
Several analysts are predicting the film will make somewhere between $60 and $70 million over the upcoming weekend as well, and for once, it’s nice to see a studio take somewhat of a chance on a project, stick to its merits, and actually have it all pay off. Welcome back Deadpool, I still can’t believe it took this long.
Deadpool is in theatres everywhere now.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016