Right now, in a year when superhero movies have been more hit or miss than any other year of recent memory, it seems fitting that Deadpool, a movie with seemingly everything going against it, was arguably the biggest success of the genre so far this year. Which is probably why the anticipation surrounding the film’s already announced sequel, which will bring back a majority of the original creative team behind the first as well, is so high right now.
Set to introduce the still-uncast Cable as well as another possible X-Force character, it seems like possibly the only project that Fox has right now, that’s moving along smoothly with the future of the X-Men franchise being called into question after Apocalypse and Gambit on the receiving end of nonstop production delays.
/Film recently caught up with screenwriter and producer Simon Kinberg though, who revealed that they still have yet to cast Cable in the Deadpool sequel, even despite the constant rumors going around online:
“I’ve seen rumors from about everybody from Arnold Schwarzenegger to I can’t even remember. We haven’t cast him is the truth.”
As for what the sequel will be like, Kinberg teased it’s on-the-nose and fourth-wall-breaking nature will only continue in the sequel, this time probably taking shots at the state of the superhero genre right now and the usual tropes of superhero movie sequels:
“I think Deadpool 2 will comment on anything that’s happening in movies today especially in superhero movies. The sort of glut or saturation of these movies and the proliferation of sequels is definitely something we’ll play around with.”
Considering how often expectations are starting to betray comic book fans more and more nowadays, seeing how Deadpool addresses not only the flaws of the X-Men universe, but also possibly the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the DCEU should be interesting, especially after the recent shots at the genre in the Deadpool/Spider-Man comic book series. I, for one, can’t wait.
Deadpool 2 does not yet have a confirmed release date.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016