Disney has a positively slammed slate of big time films on the horizon – from Marvel outings to the next entry into the Star Wars canon – so it makes plenty of sense that the studio wants to make these huge films as giant as possible. Literally. Walt Disney Studios and IMAX have just announced that a large (tee hee) selection of the studio’s upcoming releases will be available in IMAX.
The list of IMAX-bound films is quite impressive, including all of the currently scheduled Marvel films, from Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier (April 2014) to Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy (August 2014) and Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 2015). The next Star Wars film, Star Wars: Episode VII, will also hit IMAX screens in December of 2015. Elsewhere, two new Disney properties – Maleficent and Tomorrowland – will also go the IMAX route, in May of this year and May of 2015, respectively.
Disney and IMAX have frequently teamed up for such massive collaborations, so the news that they are planning something similar for some of Disney’s most highly anticipated upcoming features is not surprising. What is surprising, however, is that they’ve announced so many new IMAX films all at once – sorry, other studios that might want to release some stuff in IMAX in 2014 and 2015, you’re just going to have to cram in around Disney’s powerhouse slate.
Which Disney film are you most excited to see in IMAX, if any?
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014