Several weeks ago, the news came out that Disney and Lucasfilm were reportedly looking at actor and musician Donald Glover to play a young version of Billy Dee Williams’ Lando Calrissian in their planned 2018, Young Han Solo spin-off film. This came just a few weeks after confirmation that actor Alden Ehrenreich was cast as the Millennium Falcon pilot at Star Wars Celebration Europe.
While it was mentioned that directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller were still planning on looking at a number of other actors for the role, it seemed like Glover was their number one choice, though no offer had been made apparently at the time of the report.
During a new interview with TIME though, Glover was asked about the rumors and his response was predictably vague and cryptic, neither confirming nor denying it, when the interviewer mentioned the rumors:
“Yep. There are rumors.”
Then when asked about how he feels about the franchise and Star Wars in general, Glover shared his love for the films:
“I mean, I grew up on it. My dad was a big fan. I had all the toys when I was little. I had a Darth Vader with the lightsaber he has. It was cool. It’s a dynasty. It’s like the bible. I love that franchise.”
So basically, he’s not going to be saying anything even remotely close to a denial or confirmation any time soon it looks like, though judging by his response here, I think we can at least assume that there are talks for the role still going on between him and Lucasfilm. In terms of onscreen persona and charisma as well, Glover is kind of perfect to play a young version of Lando, and judging by the online fan response to the rumors, I’d say that we’re not the only ones who think so.
The still untitled Young Han Solo spin-off is set to hit theatres on May 25th, 2018.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016