Tom Cruise has been trying to get El Presidente made for years. It’s a movie about a straight shooting Secret Service agent tasked with guarding a boozing, womanizing, degenerate ex-President, and if all goes well, it will reunite Cruise (who will play the agent) with his A Few Good Men co-star Jack Nicholson (as the former President). The story really gets going when the two characters go on the run together after a threat is made against the former political figure.
The script, from writer Dan Moor (“Parks and Recreation”, “Late Night with Conan O’Brien”), was purchased by Warner Bros. back in 2010, and Jay Roach was eyed for the director’s chair. Now, THR brings word that the project has been resurrected, and it seems Cruise has found a new director: Doug Liman, who directed Cruise in the upcoming sci-fi film Edge of Tomorrow. Liman has plenty of experience in the action genre (The Bourne Identity), the comedy genre (Swingers), and the action-comedy genre (Mr. and Mrs. Smith), so he’s a natural fit for this new action comedy.
But the movie doesn’t quite have the go-ahead just yet: Cruise still has to convince the notoriously picky Nicholson to play the title character. Cruise and Liman reportedly visited Nicholson’s house and convinced him to read the script (which has had a rewrite by Paul Attanasio), and Cruise says he won’t make the movie without Nicholson.
If what Cruise says is true, we’ll have to see if Nicholson can handle it. The truth, that is. (See what I did there?)
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014