News from Guillermo del Toro’s Justice League Dark film has been quiet for quite a while now, after the director submitted a final draft of the script last year and was originally set to direct it, but couldn’t find the time to make it a priority in his already packed schedule. It was later announced that producer Scott Rudin had been brought in to try and speed things up on it, and it looks like he may have done just that.
Variety is reporting that Edge of Tomorrow director Doug Liman has officially been brought on to direct the film for Warner Bros. and DC, currently called Dark Universe, with Rudin and del Toro acting as producers on the project as well. There’s currently no word on how it may or may not fit into the DCEU in progress right now, though it certainly sounds like one of the more interesting projects in the works from DC.
Focusing on the mystical, dark underworld of the DC Comics, and follows a team featuring Deadman, John Constantine, Swamp Thing, Zatanna, and Etrigann The Demon. Late last year, Rogue One and Bloodline actor Ben Mendelsohn was rumored to be playing the film’s main villain.
This is an interesting announcement for Liman as well, who was recently attached to direct Fox’s Gambit standalone film, but after the film was delayed for another time, the director reportedly moved the project over to the side to focus on other things, and you can’t help but wonder with this new announcement if Liman may be severing ties with the film completely now.
Considering the kind of exciting things that a Justice League Dark movie could do for the DC films though, I’ll be honest when I say that this already sounds like at the very least, a more interesting project than Gambit ever has.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016