Despite an unsuccessful previous attempt to bring the Dungeons and Dragons property to life on the silver screen, Warner Bros. is currently hard at work on bringing a new adaptation of the beloved title to audiences once again in the coming years.
Following the confirmation of Goosebumps director Rob Letterman signing on at the helm as well, it looks like the studio may have their eyes on a rising star for the film’s leading role.
Deadline is reporting that Ansel Elgort is currently in early negotiations to star in the project right now, which if all turns out well, is being set up to be a brand new franchise for Warner Bros to capitalize on. Following his recent breakout success in films like The Fault in Our Stars, Divergent, and more as well, Elgort is currently in the midst of a rising career with new projects like Edgar Wright’s Baby Driver and Billionaire Boys Club already in the works.
He was recently one of the young actors rumored to be a frontrunner for the lead role in Disney and Lucasfilm’s young Han Solo film as well, before the coveted role ended up going to Hail, Caesar! standout, Alden Ehrenreich.
Based on a screenplay by David Leslie Johnson, Dungeons and Dragons has about as much of a chance as any other fantasy property out there right now to be Warner Bros.’ newest flagship fantasy franchise, after successes like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Considering how many famous stars, who also happen to be D&D fans there are as well, this may be the perfect time for WB to take another crack at bringing Dungeons and Dragons to life on the big screen.
I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016