Dwayne Johnson Says ‘Jumanji’ is Not a Remake, Filming Begins in Two Weeks

By August 20, 2016
dwayne johnson jumanji featured

After weeks of rumors that Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson had been having on-set beef with one of his Fast 8 male costars, the charismatic actor and former WWE superstar confirmed in a new Instagram post that he had finished his work on the latest franchise installment. No word on whether or not Johnson and Diesel were able to bury the hatchet, but it’s interesting that in the post, Johnson thanks several members of the cast by name – and Diesel isn’t one of them.

Regardless, Johnson is looking ahead to the next commitment on his increasingly full schedule, which will find him once again teaming up with his Central Intelligence companion Kevin Hart (along with Jack Black) for a new version of Jumanji. But contrary to some reports, it seems like this won’t be a remake after all – Johnson says it’s actually a continuation. Check out the quotes from his Instagram post below.

dwayne johnson instagram jumanji

“Finished strong and on to the next. That’s an officially wrap on #FastAndFurious8. Thank you to our director @fgarygray for the vision and execution. Thank you UNIVERSAL for being tremendous partners as always, thank you to all my fellow co-stars for the daily effort and grind. Scott Eastwood you handsome sumbitch! Natalie Emmanuel I have a cold Budweiser ready for you and Tyrese Gibson you still have the biggest smile and forehead I’ve ever seen. And a huge THANK YOU to our hard working production crew – the backbone of our business. Your kind words meant a lot to me last night – thank you! In the end, we all rallied, as great teams do, kicked ass and will deliver an amazing movie to the world. Proud of our entire FAST FAMILY.

And now in two weeks I’ll reunite with ol’ friends Kevin Hart & Jack Black and we have the honor to introduce a whole new generation to the amazing world of #JUMANJI. *(for the record we are NOT making a reboot, but rather a continuation of the awesome JUMANJI story). It’s also crazy to me how much me, Kev and Jack look like triplets when we’re together. Man this is gonna be FUN.”

The idea of continuing the Jumanji story is an interesting one, although it should be mentioned that Sony’s previous attempt to capitalize on the success of the original film resulted in the box office flop Zathura, which was based on source material by the author of the original Jumanji novel. Then again, the film version of Zathura didn’t have any direct ties to its predecessor, despite the presence of a clear connection in the books – maybe the studio has learned its lesson.

Walk Hard director Jake Kasdan will be behind the camera for Jumanji, with Deadline reporting that Nick Jonas has also been tapped for a supporting role. The film begins production in September, and is currently slated for a July 28, 2017 release.

Brent Hankins

Brent Hankins

Contributing Writer at GeekNation
Brent Hankins is a member of the Phoenix Critics Circle and co-host of the Drinks and Discourse podcast. He's also the proud owner of an Italian Greyhound named Sullivan. He's adorable (the dog, not the author).