Since emerging from bankruptcy, MGM has gotten back in the game by making Peter Jackson’s Hobbit films, last year’s Bond thriller Skyfall, and prepping a remake of Poltergeist, but now it appears the studio is keen on creating new original content that doesn’t fall into a pre-established franchise.
THR is reporting that Dwayne Johnson is attached to star in a supernatural action movie called Seal Team 666. Based on a book by Weston Ochse, the story follows an elite group of Navy Seals who battle demons and stumble upon a discovery that there’s a greater supernatural force bent on destroying the world. Evan Spiliotopoulos, the writer of Brett Ratner’s upcoming Hercules film (which also stars Johnson in the lead role), is tackling the script duties on this movie as well.
There still isn’t a director set for the project, but Johnson’s presence should be enough to scare up some good talent to come on board. It’s also interesting to note Johnson’s tight relationship with the military (which may include members of the real SEAL Team 6), since he was one of the first people to find out about the death of Osama bin Laden in 2011. Looks like he’ll soon be making his cinematic country proud by blasting some demons out of the sky, but in the meantime, Johnson is shooting Fast & Furious 7 for director James Wan. We’ll pass on more info about Seal Team 666 as we hear about it.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014