By all accounts, Edge of Tomorrow was possibly the biggest surprise of 2014. After disappointing trailers and terrible marketing, I don’t think anyone expected the movie to actually be good, let alone be as good as it ended up being. It featured probably one of Tom Cruise’s most fun performances as well, and introduced an iconic, strong female character into cinema with Emily Blunt’s Rita Vrataski.
Now, Deadline is reporting that movement is being made on a Edge of Tomorrow sequel, with the project finding both its screenwriters and director. Race writers Joe Shrapnel and Anna Waterhouse will be penning the script for the film according to the report, with original Edge director Doug Liman returning to helm the film.
Cruise had previously voiced his desire to make a sequel as well, stating the following:
I pitched it to [“Rogue Nation” director and “Edge of Tomorrow” screenwriter Christopher] McQuarrie and [“Edge of Tomorrow” director] Doug [Liman]. We were there one night and I was like, I’ve got an idea for it. It could be so much fun. Gotta get Emily. I was like Emily, please. She was like, ’give me another year, please.’
Though no plot details have been revealed, the sequel will apparently see the return of both Cruise and Blunt in their roles from the original film.
I really don’t know how the sequel would work necessarily, since the original film’s story had seemed to be closed-ended by the time it was over, and the idea of continuing it or sending either character through the process again seems like a bit too much. At the same time though, I think Edge of Tomorrow managed to balance the fun and emotional story with some fairly kick-ass action better than most non-Marvel superheroes movies manage to, so the idea of returning to the world at the very least, is an intriguing one.
The Edge of Tomorrow sequel is currently in development.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016