If John Cusack wants to use this part of his career to style himself as an action hero, we are all for it. And if he wants to add a bonafide action heroine into the mix for his next film, we’re even more for it.
Talking Lens Productions has just announced (via ComingSoon) that Famke Janssen has just joined Cusack’s Kickback, an action outing from writer and director Raza Mallal that has an intriguing premise and an outstanding cast to recommend it. We didn’t think that was possible these days (not counting the Fast and Furious films, obviously).
The film “follows a renegade Moscow detective investigating the murder of a female war journalist.” The project is described as an “espionage themed thriller” and, get this, it’s actually based on a true story (or at least that’s what the press release tells us).
Kickback also features one heck of a varied and exciting cast beyond just Cusack and Janssen, including Sean Astin, Mischa Barton, Michael Biehn, John Hannah, Rutger Hauer, Stelio Savante, Tom Sizemore, and Sean Young. Wait – Tom Sizemore and Sean Young? Michael Biehn and Rutger Hauer? Someone send that casting agent a fruit basket.
Kickback is due to start filming in March.
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014